Are you also faced with a critical decision: choosing between shared and managed WordPress hosting?
The website hosting environment is the premise to your website’s fulfillment. Additionally, selecting the proper web hosting for your undertaking is essential.
At first glance, shared and controlled website hosting can also appear to be simply options to launch your website online.
The reality, although, is greater complex. Shared hosting, that is often praised for being inexpensive, offers a standard answer wherein several sites share server sources.
On the opposite aspect, Managed WordPress website hosting is constructed specially for WordPress web sites and gives greater safety, highest quality overall performance, and regularly devoted assets.
Which, even though, is excellent for you?
Each type has a unique set of blessings, regulations, and most appropriate software eventualities.
We’ll outline the key distinctions, discover the advantages and disadvantages, and give you the information you want to choose the option in order to first-class meet the expectancies of your website.
What Is Shared Hosting?
Due to the truth that numerous websites proportion a unmarried server, shared web hosting is likewise referred to as WordPress hosting. Yes, this additionally involves sharing resources like computing electricity, storage, and bandwidth.
It’s just like dwelling in an condominium complicated wherein one of a kind human beings proportion common regions.
Due to its traits, it is often a financially practical alternative for brand spanking new users or web sites with light to moderate visitors. Essential tools, cPanel access, and one-click on WordPress installations are frequently covered with shared hosting.
But this organization environment isn’t always with out its issues.
Similar to how one resident’s raucous party may disrupt the whole constructing, a traffic spike or technical difficulty on one internet site can also have an adverse effect at the capability of other web sites hosted on the identical server.
Pros of Shared Hosting
- Affordability: In general, shared hosting is the most budge-friendly hosting option. The costs of maintaining the server are split among multiple users, keeping individual expenses low.
- Easy setup: Most shared hostings offer user-friendly control panels, such as cPanel and one-click WordPress installs, ensuring even complete beginners can set it up with ease.
- Maintenance and updates: Most of the maintenance and server updating is on the hosting provider, not the user, taking the technical load off website owners. (This was super handy for me when I launched my first website.)
- Scalability: When your website or blog starts to grow and needs more resources, switching to a higher-tier shared plan (or even a different hosting type) is usually very simple.
- Features: Many shared hosting plans come with handy tools and features, including website builders, free SSL certificates, email hosting and access to various software and scripts.
- Support: Most shared hosting services provide 24/7 customer support to assist with technical issues, which can be invaluable for those with limited technical knowledge.
- Multiple domains: If you look at mid and top-tier shared hosting packages, they usually allow users to host more than one domain on a single account. This can be beneficial for those managing multiple small websites.
Cons of Shared Hosting
- Limited resources: There’s a cap on how much CPU, RAM and storage your site can utilize because the resources are shared among multiple websites. (But this is mainly relevant during traffic spikes or when your website starts to grow (too rapidly)).
- Performance issues: If another site on the same server goes viral, experiences a traffic surge, or is poorly optimized, it can affect the server’s overall performance. This can potentially slow down your site.
- Security concerns: Sharing a server means you’re also sharing the risk. If one website becomes harmed, it could potentially threaten other sites on the same server, especially if the server isn’t configured correctly.
- Overcrowding: Some hosting providers might overload their servers with too many users, leading to regular performance issues and slower response times.
- Too general server configurations: The server settings are typically set up to cater to a general audience rather than being explicitly optimized for your exclusive needs. This can sometimes lead to compatibility or performance issues.
- Uptime issues: Even though many shared hosting providers guarantee a great uptime, unexpected downtimes are likely to occur due to the above reasons.
What Is Managed WordPress Hosting?
Performance, safety, and consumer-friendliness are prioritized in the specific environment referred to as controlled WordPress web hosting, that’s designed completely for WordPress websites.
Managed hosting, instead of everyday shared web hosting, looks after the technical factors of managing a WordPress website online and gives services like automatic backups, upgrades, and complicated security measures
It’s designed for folks that like a arms-off technique to coping with the lower back quit of web sites. It enables internet site proprietors to concentrate only on developing their agencies and generating authentic content.
Users obtain an optimized, stable, frequently faster, and more reliable WordPress experience in exchange for the extra perks, which are frequently more costly.
Pros of Managed WordPress Hosting
- Performance: Managed WordPress hosts utilize server configurations specifically tuned for WordPress, ensuring faster load times and overall improved site speed.
- Automatic updates: The hosting provider often handles updates for WordPress core (sometimes even themes and plugins), ensuring that your website is always running the latest, most secure versions.
- Security: These hosts typically offer advanced security features, such as malware scanning, automatic SSL certificates, firewall configurations and DDoS protection.
- Staging environment: Many managed hosts provide staging sites, so you can test changes or new designs in a clone of your live site before making anything public.
- Caching: Advanced caching is often built-in or automatically handled, eliminating the need for 3rd-party plugins and ensuring optimal site speed.
- Maintenance: Besides updates, a managed WP host usually also handles database optimization and other backend tasks.
- Support: Customer support teams are WordPress-savvy experts, ensuring that any issues or questions you have about your WordPress site are addressed knowledgeably and efficiently (and quickly).
Cons of Managed WordPress Hosting
- Higher price: Managed WordPress hosting typically comes at a significantly higher price point than shared or even some VPS hosting options. It’s one of the reasons many decide to go with a shared solution.
- Lack of control: The environment is specifically tailored for WordPress, meaning you might have less control over server settings and software installations than a traditional hosting setup.
- Plugin restrictions: Some managed WordPress hosts may prohibit certain plugins they deem harmful or resource-intensive, limiting your flexibility in customizing your website. (They usually have a plugin blacklist on their website.)
- Platform limitations: A managed WP hosting is designed explicitly for WordPress. If you’re running or planning to run other CMS platforms alongside, managed WordPress hosting may not be suitable.
- Traffic limitations: Some plans come with monthly visitor caps. If your site exceeds these, you might encounter additional charges or need to upgrade to a more expensive plan.
- No domain registration: Some managed hosting providers may not offer domain registration services, requiring users to manage domains through a 3rd-party, potentially complicating the setup process.
- Multisite challenges: Not all managed hosts support multisite installs, or if they do, their entry-level plan doesn’t, so you need to upgrade right from the get-go.
The Main Differences Between Shared vs Managed WordPress Hosting
Here’s a quick breakdown of the main differences between shared and managed WordPress Hosting:
- Shared hosting: Designed as a one-size-fits-all solution where multiple websites share the same server resources.
- Managed WordPress hosting: Tailored particularly for WordPress websites, offering specialized tools and optimizations.
- Shared hosting: More affordable as costs are divided among many users.
- Managed WordPress hosting: Often pricier due to WP-specific, tailor-made service.
- Shared hosting: Standard performance; a surge in traffic on one site can potentially affect others on the same server.
- Managed WordPress hosting: Optimized for WordPress, leading to faster load times and better responsiveness.
- Shared hosting: Basic security measures with potential risks due to the shared server environment.
- Managed WordPress hosting: Advanced security features fitted for WP vulnerabilities, such as regular malware scans, firewalls and DDoS protection.
5. Maintenance and updates
- Shared hosting: Updates might be the user’s responsibility, though some providers offer automatic updates for the core software.
- Managed WordPress hosting: Automatic updates for WordPress core (sometimes including themes and plugins). Regular backups and other maintenance tasks are also typically handled by the provider.
- Shared hosting: Basic support that may not always be specialized in WordPress.
- Managed WordPress hosting: Dedicated, expert support familiar with WordPress-related issues.
7. Customizations and control
- Shared hosting: Often offers more freedom regarding server settings and installations.
- Managed WordPress hosting: Might have restrictions on some plugins or tools for optimal performance and security.
- Shared hosting: Very user-friendly with control panels like cPanel for website management.
- Managed WordPress hosting: Explicitly streamlined for WordPress, reducing the complexity of many technical aspects and offering a more hands-off experience for users.
Best Shared Hosting Providers
Hostinger takes extremely good satisfaction in imparting a web hosting service with unbeatable velocity and top-notch performance.
They have mounted themselves as marketplace leaders in shared hosting thanks to their array of modern technology, consisting of complete SSD servers, unlimited bandwidth, HTTP/three, IPv6, and LiteSpeed servers.
Along with their technological competence, in addition they offer a loose domain (shop for the access-degree plan), free internet site migration, and spherical-the-clock customer assistance from a dedicated achievement crew, making sure that even novices can also host their websites with out trouble.
Security is of the maximum significance, for that reason their devotion goes past overall performance. Especially with their Premium and Business hosting alternatives, every website hosting bundle comes with unlimited free SSL certificates, DDoS safety, vehicle-updates, and an internally designed WAF.
Hostinger additionally gives a drag-and-drop web page builder with a excellent AI tool and a hundred and fifty predesigned templates for creating websites. However, experience unfastened to apply our step-by-step guidance to discover ways to create a WordPress internet site.
With gear like SSH, WP-CLI, PHP model control, Git integration, and more, Hostinger ensures that its customers hold total manage over their website hosting.
By presenting global facts facilities in Asia, North and South America, Europe, and Asia (see European WordPress website hosting solutions for extra opportunities), they further put off any geographic regulations.
Hostinger makes managing WordPress websites easier via imparting one-click installation, auto-updates, and a WP staging device that is especially built for WordPress.
- Global data centers
- 27/7 live support
- Free migration
- LiteSpeed servers for speed
- Free SSL certificate
- Fantastic control over hosting’s settings
- 50+ GB storage
- 99.9% uptime guarantee
- 2+ subdomains per account
- Malware scanner
- Single ($1.99/mo): One website, standard performance, 50 GB SSD storage
- Premium ($2.99/mo): 100 websites, standard performance, 100 GB SSD storage
- Business ($3.99/mo): 100 websites, increased performance, 200 GB NVMe storage
- Cloud Startup ($9.99/mo): 300 websites, increased performance, 200 GB NVMe storage
Why we recommend it: We advocate Hostinger to both newbie and seasoned website owners, seeking a reliable and amazing-performing website hosting solution with out breaking the bank.
Let’s first point out that Bluehost is one of the few web hosting companies endorsed via WordPress itself (for the reason that 2005).
Bluehost’s Shared Hosting is renowned for its complete package of gear, functions and steering tailor-made especially for WordPress users, simplifying the internet site creation method.
One especially notable characteristic is their Wonder tool that streamlines website online setup and customization, offering a consumer-centric dashboard that integrates resultseasily with WordPress.
Each WordPress website hosting plan incorporates Wonder and boasts features like automatic WordPress installation, useful resource safety, ensuring undeterred web page performance even on shared servers, and an SSL certificates for stable information encryption. Regarding safety, you furthermore may advantage from computerized malware scans via their SiteLock Security Scans answer.
Bluehost integrates Cloudflare CDN (locate more CDN services for WordPress right here), caching technology, and SSDs, which synergistically optimize load instances and usual web page efficiency.
Moreover, Bluehost additionally gives its clients 24/7 help via phone and chat, even extending to specialized website design offerings for the ones in need.
- Automatic WordPress installs
- Quick and easy onboarding
- Free SSL certificate
- Automatic malware scans
- 10+ GB SSD storage
- Custom WordPress themes
- 24/7 phone and chat support
- Server-level caching
- 1-5 websites
- Free CDN
- Basic ($3.90/mo): One website, 10 GB SSD storage, no free CDN, no free domain
- Choice Plus($7.21/mo): Three websites, 40 GB SSD storage, free CDN, free domain
- Choice Store ($13.16/mo): Three websites, 40 GB SSD storage, free CDN, free domain
- Pro ($18.45/mo): Five websites, 100 GB SSD storage, free CDN, free domain
Why we recommend it: We recommend Bluehost to individuals, bloggers and small business owners looking for a robust and easy-to-use shared hosting.
SiteGround’s shared web hosting is most desirable for those wanting to raise their online presence, subsidized through excellent safety, speedy speed and round-the-clock help.
With SiteGround, customers can speedy construct and launch websites the usage of their desired web site builder and revel in a seamless transition with their loose migration equipment.
Moreover, the platform is customized for diverse PHP-MySQL-primarily based CMS and CRM programs, making sure versatility and efficiency.
For users in search of more superior capabilities, SiteGround’s GrowBig and GoGeek plans provide the capability to host more than one web sites beneath one account, attain faster site speeds with their custom PHP setup, and use the smooth staging tool for trouble-loose website modifications.
Those on the GoGeek plan advantage from superior priority guide, streamlined development with Git integration, and the particular choice to offer white-label client get admission to to their site’s equipment.
If you’re also attempting to find white labeling device, we have a listing of the first-class white label internet site builders to be able to get you moving into no time.
From domain control to reliable electronic mail services, unmetered site visitors and CDN, SiteGround guarantees a comprehensive hosting revel in tailored for scalability and performance.
- Free CDN
- Free SSL
- Daily backups
- Managed WordPress
- Integrated caching
- 30-days money-back guarantee
- Supports eCommerce
- Unlimited databases
- Effortless site and email transfers
- Compatible with various PHP-MySQL-based CMS and CRM apps
- StartUp ($2.99/mo): One website, 10 GB storage, 10,000 visits/month, free SSL
- GrowBig ($4.99/mo): Unlimited websites, 20 GB storage, 100,000 visits/month, free SSL
- GoGeek ($7.99/mo): Unlimited websites, 40 GB storage, 400,000 visits/month, free SSL
Why we recommend it: We recommend SiteGround for all kinds of sites, from blogs and business sites to online stores, including medium-to-high trafficked ones.
Best Managed WordPress Hosting Providers
1. WP Engine
WP Engine stands as a pinnacle in controlled WordPress website hosting, making sure that customers enjoy the zenith of speed, protection, and help.
With their service, you’re basically hiring a committed technical aide to supercharge your website. This encompasses elements like energetic threat detection, daily backups, well timed WordPress updates, and caching mechanisms that appreciably decorate page speeds.
Moreover, WP Engine palms its customers with an arsenal of top rate equipment to effects layout, build, and set up websites, complemented with the aid of round-the-clock live aid.
Highlighting the sizeable benefits of WP Engine’s controlled web hosting, over 1,000,000 websites gain from automated updates, daily backups, seamless one-click on staging and a bundle of top class themes.
They emphasize rigorous safety features that block an amazing 26 billion+ cyber assaults yearly, reinforced by using complimentary SSL and local platform safety.
Performance is paramount; hence, WP Engine ensures most beneficial page velocity, that is vital for visitor satisfaction and search engine optimization. (Yup, Google loves rapid websites and has a tendency to rank them better.)
Furthermore, for the ones in search of a sturdy eCommerce answer, WP Engine’s seamless integration with WooCommerce and its features, like Instant Store Search with the aid of ElasticPress, redefine the web purchasing enjoy. (But if you’re completely looking for eCommerce web hosting, then take a look at those pinnacle WooCommerce web hosting vendors.)
If you need to analyze more about this host, take a peek at our WP Engine evaluation.
- EverCache for speed boosting
- Threat blocking
- Advanced CDN
- Free SSL and SSH certificates
- Activity log and user permissions
- Daily backups
- Free automatic migration plugin
- Customizable WordPress themes
- One-click staging
- Local developer tools
- WordPress Hosting ($20/mo): One site, 10 GB storage, 25,000 visits/month, 50 GB bandwidth
- WooCommerce Hosting ($50/mo): Three sites, 15 GB storage, 75,000 visits/month, 125 GB bandwidth
- Advanced Solutions ($600/mo): Custom solution for specific needs
Why we recommend it: We recommend WP Engine to all bloggers and entrepreneurs (small and big websites), looking for a high-performance, secure and fully managed hosting experience. Stop wasting time on maintenance; keep focusing on growing your business.
Kinsta presents a excessive-overall performance managed WordPress website hosting answer powered by Google’s pinnacle-tier infrastructure.
With 35 information centers globally, Kinsta guarantees rapid website overall performance, boasting as much as a 200% velocity increase for customers migrating to their platform.
Key overall performance features encompass website hosting on Google’s high-quit CPUs, a giant CDN network spanning 260+ locations, and Edge Caching, which has verified reductions in load times by way of up to 49%.
Also, Kinsta doesn’t take security lightly. It is a top precedence, with provisions together with employer-stage DDoS safety, wildcard SSL help and a commitment to tackle any malware threats at no cost. (We locate their protection excellent; it already helped us avoid multiple inconveniences.)
Their user-friendly MyKinsta dashboard is the centralized platform wherein customers can control their WordPress websites and databases.
It offers equipment for site management, analytics, optimization, and previews for migrated websites.
For developers, Kinsta provides a suite of superior tools, inclusive of DevKinsta for neighborhood WordPress improvement and various PHP version helps. The platform also includes capabilities like staging environments, smooth PHP switching, and a search and replace tool.
Kinsta offers round-the-clock guide from expert technicians (they’re the nice!) to reinforce purchaser confidence and has a stellar ninety seven% delight rate across its huge array of offerings.
Finally, our in-intensity Kinsta overview proves why it’s the sort of effective website hosting even similarly.
- Edge caching
- Application Performance Monitoring
- 35 data centers
- Free SSL
- Site backups and uptime checks
- Site management tools
- Optimization tools
- One-click WP site creation
- Kinsta API
- Starter ($24/mo): One WP install, 10 GB storage, 100 GB CDN, 25,000 visits/month
- Pro ($47/mo): Two WP installs, 20 GB storage, 200 GB CDN, 50,000 visits/month
- Business 1 ($77/mo): Five WP installs, 30 GB storage, 400 GB CDN, 100,000 visits/month
- Business 2 ($150/mo): Ten WP installs, 40 GB storage, 600 GB CDN, 250,000 visits/month
- Business 3 ($227/mo): Twenty WP installs, 50 GB storage, 800 GB CDN, 400,000 visits/month
- Business 4 ($300/mo): Forty WP installs, 60 GB storage, 1,200 GB CDN, 600,000 visits/month
- Enterprise 1 ($450/mo): Sixty WP installs, 100 GB storage, 2,000 GB CDN, 1 million visits/month
- Enterprise 2 ($667/mo): Eighty WP installs, 150 GB storage, 3,000 GB CDN, 1.5 million visits/month
- Enterprise 3 ($900/mo): 120 WP installs, 200 GB storage, 4,000 GB CDN, 2 millions visits/month
- Enterprise 4 ($1,100/mo): 150 WP installs, 250 G storage, 6,000 GB CDN, 2.5 million visits/month
Why we recommend it: We recommend Kinsta to businesses and developers seeking a robust and high-performance managed WordPress hosting solution, especially those prioritizing speed, security and user-friendly management tools.
Pressable grants remarkable controlled WordPress hosting offerings which might be fully managed, with a one hundred% uptime assure, superior overall performance and brilliant professional help.
Hosting with Pressable manner leveraging Automattic’s WP Cloud, an one of a kind cloud platform optimized for WordPress in terms of pace, uptime, security, and scalability, ensuring an association with the very creators of WordPress.
With Pressable, customers benefit from a sizeable network of 28+ facts centers spread over six continents, ensuring most beneficial website overall performance even in the course of site visitors surges. Furthermore, the platform’s structure replicates web sites in real-time to some other records middle for extra reliability.
Pressable fights against cyber threats with modern-day technology, inclusive of DDoS and WAF protection, and also consists of free Jetpack Security Daily for computerized backups.
The hosting service also enables seamless website online migrations, both thru an automatic plugin or via the Pressable crew.
Site management is made simple through an intuitive dashboard, and the platform offers access to severa plugins, themes, and superior developer gear like SSH, WP-CLI, and GIT.
Pressable’s holistic approach to managed WordPress website hosting ensures agencies can attention on boom whilst it handles the technicalities, making it a suitable choice for a wide variety of commercial enterprise kinds and offering customized plans if wanted.
- WordPress cloud platform
- 100% uptime guarantee
- Free automatic failover
- Free CDN
- Performance monitoring and optimization
- Free SSL
- Free daily backups
- User-friendly dashboard
- Free managed migrations
- Customizable and scalable resources
- Entry ($19/mo): One website, 10 GB storage, 5,000 visits/month
- Personal ($25/mo): One website, 20 GB storage, 30,000 visits/month
- Starter ($45/mo): Three websites, 30 GB storage, 50,000 visits/month
- Advanced ($60/mo): Five websites, 35 GB storage, 75,000 visits/month
- Pro ($90/mo): Ten websites, 50 GB storage, 150,000 visits/month
- Premium ($155/mo): Twenty websites, 80 GB storage, 400,000 visits/month
- Business ($350/mo): Fifty websites, 200 GB storage, 1 million visits/month
- Business 80 ($545/mo): Eighty websites, 275 GB storage, 1.6 million visits/month
- Business 100 ($675/mo): 100 websites, 325 GB storage, 2 million visits/month
Why we recommend it: We recommend Pressable to individuals and businesses searching for WordPress-exclusive managed hosting. Its association with Automatic’s WP Cloud (people behind WordPress) makes it ideal if you want to take things to the next level.
Comparing Top 3 Picks for Shared WordPress Hosting
|Free SSL||Yes||Yes (except Basic plan)||Yes|
|Storage||50 GB+||10 GB+||10 GB+|
|CDN||Yes (only Business & Cloud Sartup plans)||Yes (except Basic plan)||Yes|
|eCommerce||Yes (only Business & Cloud Sartup plans)||Yes (only Online Store plan)||Yes|
|Money-back guarantee||Yes, 30 days||Yes, 30 days||Yes, 30 days|
|Caching||Yes (only Business & Cloud Sartup plans)||Yes||Yes|
Comparing Top 3 Picks for Managed WordPress Hosting
|Storage||10 GB+||10 GB+||10 GB+|
|eCommerce||Yes (WooCommerce hosting plan)||Yes (Business 1 plan and above)||Yes (Personal plan and above)|
|Money-back guarantee||Yes, 60 days||Yes, 30 days||Yes, 30 days|